Guys: you’ve heard it a million times. This is the most important moment in your life to date. You love her. You want to spend the rest of your life with her. You have the ring in hand, but now…. how to ask? You want it to be special and unique to you as a couple, and, well… perfect!
Don’t stress. We’ve got you covered. Our incredible staff has compiled a list of the top 32 places to propose right here in our home state:
1. Robert Indiana’s LOVE sculpture at the IMA. It may seem cliche, but aren’t you in LOVE? It may have been done before, but it couldn’t get much more “awwww!” than this, especially if you’re both art lovers! You can even purchase a mini version of the sculpture at the IMA’s gift shop, to commemorate the occasion. If you’re not in LOVE with this spot, there are thousands of others inside the building as well as rotating special exhibits. Pick what’s special to you!
2. Carriage ride through the city. So many women grew up to the stories of princesses, and just like Cinderella, a carriage ride is incredibly romantic, especially downtown Indy. There are two leading companies in Indy: Blue Ribbon & Yellow Rose.
3. At a local winery. Did you know there are about 70 wineries in the state of Indiana? That gives you more than enough to choose from. Some favorites of ours: Chateau Thomas Winery (in Plainfield), New Day Meadery (in Fountain Square), Oliver Winery (in Bloomington) and Turtle Run Winery (in Corydon, Indiana’s original capital).
4. Butler University, at historic Holcomb Gardens or in the Observatory. Butler grads? Makes perfect sense!
5. Eagle Creek or Ft. Benjamin
Harrison Parks. Does she enjoy nature or a nice hike? These two parks are perfect! Eagle Creek is on the west side and Ft. Ben is on the east side, both just outside of the I-465 loop. Ft. Harrison has horseback riding, and Eagle Creek boasts an ice skating pond in the winter!
6. A Colts Game! Do you both bleed blue? Why not make a winning game even more memorable? Purchase tickets to the game, then propose in a memorable spot, even if it’s just outside the stadium (a perfect photo op!). Then cheer on the Colts, they better win for you!
7. The Eagle’s Nest. Indy’s only revolving rooftop dining experience, it’s a perfect view of the Indianapolis skyline.
8. The Indianapolis Zoo. Animal lovers would adore a proposal in front of their favorite animal. Dolphin lover? We have a hunch they might just help out if you planned to take your lady to the in-water dolphin adventure.
9. Gondola ride on the canal. As romantic as Italy. The Old World Gondoliers takes reservations in-season.
10. Indiana University: the gazebo. Did you meet at IU? Makes perfect sense!
12. Basketball Game. We sure do love our basketball in Indiana. Whether it be at a Pacer’s game, IU or Butler game, or her favorite team’s, you’re sure to get a “YES!” if she’s a huge fan.
13. On the circle (Soldiers and Sailors Monument). It’s an icon for the city and host to thousands of visitors each year. It was near the epicenter of the Super Bowl and is especially beautiful as a giant Christmas tree. It is beautiful throughout the year, but especially around the holidays!
14. Brown County. There is certainly no shortage of great proposal spots in beautiful Brown County State Park. The Abe Martin Lodge is rustic and cozy for a weekend stay. Another option: take a zip line tour. Make sure you’re first, then be there waiting on one knee as she zips down!
15. Along the downtown canal… This is perfect if you have your own “spot” – take her for a casual walk, and won’t she be super surprised!
16. At a local brewery. Just like the wineries, local breweries are popping up all over the state. Do you connect over your love of micro-brewed beer? Pick your favorite and pop the question over a pint. Enlist the assistance of the brewers and get creative! Some of our favorites in Indy? It’s a tough call! Try Sun King Brewing, Flat 12 Bierwerks, and Triton Brewing Company.
17. Ball State University: In front of Benny. A popular place for photo-ops at graduation, Beneficence is the last commissioned work of Daniel Chester French (Lincoln Memorial). They say she flaps her wings if you kiss your true love in front of her at midnight. Especially meaningful if you’re a BSU grad! (or… there’s always Frog Baby!)
18. Baseball Game. The smell of popcorn. The crack of the bat. The perfectly groomed green grass. Baseball lovers know we have a great thing here in Indy – Victory Field and our hometown Indians team. Snag some great seats or the perfect spot in the lawn, visit indyindians.com for schedule and tickets.
19. Trader’s Point Creamery. Rustic-style weddings are all the rage, so if your lady is loving that scene, Trader’s Point Creamery is the perfect place to set the tone. Tour the grounds, visit the farm animals, and have a meal at The Loft Restaurant right on-site.
20. Indiana Dunes. All the charm of the beach, so close to home. If the water, sand and sun are her thing, this is your place.
21. Hot Air Balloon Ride. High in the sky… how could she say no? There are several companies that serve Indianapolis and the surrounding areas.
22. The Capital Grille. If you buy your engagement ring at Reis-Nichols, you receive an amazing package that includes dinner for two at The Capital Grille. Why not use that to take her out for a special meal?
23. Purdue University: the Engineering Fountain. Just like the other universities on our list, if you met here in college, what a great way to make your proposal special. Visit for a game, take a walk around campus to reminisce about all the fun times you’ve had together, then pop the question in front of the Engineering Fountain (Purdue Mall Fountain) or the Bell Tower.
24. Symphony on the Prairie. Imagine a beautiful summer evening listening to some of your favorite tunes performed by the ISO. Advance tickets start at $23, concert dates for 2014 are now available.
25. The Children’s Museum. Bring out your inner child with a day at one of the largest Children’s Museums in the world. Dozens of permanent and rotating exhibits, many of which are interactive, will allow you to relax and enjoy. Check out all the exhibits first and pick the one you think will be her favorite, then end your memorable day there… with a ring!
26. A Hockey Game. If she’s a tried and true hockey fan, this is an easy choice. The Indiana Ice play their season September-April between Pan Am Plaza and Banker’s Life Fieldhouse. The city’s newest team, the ECHL affiliated Indy Fuel, will make their debut in Indianapolis this year at the newly renovated Pepsi Coliseum in October.
27. White River Gardens. Adjacent to the Indianapolis Zoo, these gardens are completely gorgeous! In the spring, hundreds of tulips bloom throughout the 3-acre space.
28. At a local orchard. There’s nothing quite like the experience of picking apples, scouting out pumpkins and jumping on a hayride in the fall. The fresh air, beautiful blue skies and tantalizing sweet smell of apples can make this idea picture-perfect. Give Stuckey Farm in Sheridan a look to make this idea a reality.
29. Visit a quaint Bed & Breakfast. Story Inn in Story, Indiana is a rustic Bed & Breakfast getaway tucked “inconveniently” in southern Brown County. It offers just eighteen guest rooms and cottages that will allow you to completely unplug – no TVs, phones, clocks or radios in any of their unique, historic rooms! If you’re really looking for a thrill, there’s a rumor that one of the rooms is haunted.
30. Indiana Repertory Theatre (the IRT). Theatre lovers would certainly find this to be the perfect proposal spot. Take her to a great show at this beautiful downtown building first, then ask her to be yours forever under the marquee.
31. Along the Monon. From Indianapolis to Westfield, the Monon is a rail trail that stretches more than 15 miles. If you live or work in the area – then you’re likely familiar! Spend much time on The Monon and you probably have your favorite “spot” – where you stop for water or to enjoy the scenery – it’s the perfect place to surprise her.
32. Garfield Park Conservatory. Garfield Park is the oldest park in Indianapolis. The Conservatory itself is absolutely beautiful with 10,000 square feet of tropical plants. Even in the winter, the Conservatory is in full bloom!
One final, important detail…. don’t forget the camera! Thousands of women will tell you they wish the moment was captured on film. Think the love of your life will feel the same? Grab a friend in secret, or get in touch with our pals at Jennifer Driscoll Photography.
Find the perfect idea in this post? Spark another idea? Please, share! Better yet, find dozens of other creative ideas on our Pinterest page. And, when your friends are ready to take this big step, make sure to let them know Reis-Nichols Jewelers can help with the engagement ring… and more!